And be sure to read all the way to the bottom of this recipe to check out all of the delicious "bean" recipes from our Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
I first had a version of this bean recipe when my oldest, who is 17 now was 2 years old. We were attending a church retreat and everyone brought potluck dishes to share with the congregation. There were lots of wonderful dishes presented that day, but the beans really stood out for me because I had never tasted a "baked bean" dish that included nuggets of cheddar cheese dispersed throughout. I was transfixed and I immediately requested the recipe from my friend, Kristin. She said it was a dish her sister had made in California and it was called Gold Rush Beans, which of course made sense to me given there were huge golden nuggets visible in the bean dish. The combination of beans and cheese along with ground beef and bacon... well what doesn't taste good that includes bacon???
Anyway, needless to say, I've since moved away. I thought I had carefully filed away all my favorite recipes in a safe location at which I would easily be able to retrieve them whenever needed. Nice plan, Stan! I forgot the location after moving, so it's probably in a box that was stored because I didn't see a need to open it. I have THAT much stuff -- even after giving away 6 packed, end to end, front "porchfuls" of unneeded and gently used household and personal items to Good Will.
I started to panic, knowing I had signed up for this Sunday Supper event. I REALLY wanted to share this particular recipe, because it brought back fond memories, and I knew others would truly enjoy this dish as well. So, goodness, I thought --I'm a personal chef! I develop and modify existing recipes all of the time! What was a I worried about? Well aside from forgetting something important, I knew that I could likely improvise and come up with something tasty...and the results? Well, they were just wonderful! No need to worry after all! Whew!
Here is what I came up with and what you'll need to make these yummy beans. (By the way, I'm a savvy shopper and I pick up sale and generic items whenever possible, so my ingredients reflect a hodge podge of brands and choices. There is no one particular brand that works best in this dish; it all gets mixed together like any traditional baked beans.)
1 (14 oz.) can each: kidney beans, black beans, garbanzo beans, and pork and beans
1 sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. oil (I used coconut)
6 slices of bacon, chopped + 2 additional torn into bite sized pieces to top the beans
1 lb ground beef
2/3 c ketchup
1/3 c mustard
2 T raw or brown sugar
1 T molasses
1 t seasoning salt, such as Lawry's
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 T Liquid Smoke™
1 1/2 c cubed sharp cheddar cheese ( between 1/4" and 1/2")
Start by chopping bacon, onions and garlic. In a large skillet, add a t coconut oil or oil of your choice and cook bacon until crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
Remove from skillet to a small bowl and set aside. Drain excess drippings, turn up heat and brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain.
Meanwhile, drain and rinse all the beans, excluding the pork and beans. Keep that sauce in tact, Add beans, onions and garlic to the drained beef. Add ketchup, mustard, Liquid Smoke, molasses, sugar, seasoning salt and pepper flakes. Stir to mix.
Now add the crumbled bacon and the cheese. Stir to incorporate.
Pour into a 9x13 lightly sprayed baking dish. Top with bacon and cover with a lid or foil. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 F. These can be served warm, at room temperature or even cold (for my family, but they're "unique" hehe!) It can be a main and stand on its own or a great side to a grilled chicken or even hot dogs.
This week’s Sunday Supper is hosted by Tammi of Momma’s Meals. Make sure you check out all of the beantastic options created by the Sunday Supper family today! We hope you will join us around the family table and share some of your own favorite bean dishes as well!
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.